Important facts about women and homelessness in Ottawa
Homelessness is a serious problem in the Ottawa area. In 2015, 6,825individuals stayed in a shelter at some point.
The basic breakdown is as follows:
- 782 families
- 915 women
- 2,972 single men
- 387 youth
- The main reported contributors to homelessness are:
- Mental health challenges and hospital stays.
- Partner violence and relationship breakdown.
- Addictions due to chronic trauma and abuse.
- Immigration/newcomer challenges.
- 507 women stayed at Cornerstone in 2013
- Cornerstone's Women's Shelter provides short-term accommodation for up to 61 women per day
- 10-15 women are turned away daily due to lack of space
- Average shelter stay is 73 days
- 140,160 meals are served each year between Cornerstone's four houses
- In 23 women received permanent housing at 515 MacLaren and 10 women lived at McPhail House
Click here to learn more
Get informed! Get inspired! Get involved!
Choose Hope With Us!